Tuesday 31 December 2013

2013: 5 Key Moments


“Existence is.. well.. what does it matter? I exist on the best terms I can. The past is now part of my future. The present is well out of hand.” 
― Ian Curtis


2013, what a year it has been. My excessive blogging has clued most of you into how the majority of my year went down, 'as it happened' (news programmes love to say that). As such, I don't feel the need to ramble and try to explain each and every occurrence of 2013 - I'll focus mostly on the better parts.


Number One:
Graduation.

I graduated from the University of Sydney, an amazing feat for someone as dopey as myself. I'll admit - I was a bit proud. My parents actually managed to spend time in each other's company for the first time in almost 16 years, quite astounding, and incredibly touching. It made my day, more so than actually becoming a 'graduate', no longer a 'graduand'. I was waiting three long years for that day and it was nothing like I had imagined it would be. It was better, due to my parents both being present. 

That bloody cap was a nightmare! As was the fur thingy.


Number Two:
Masters.

I began my Masters degree. Despite a pretty dreadful beginning, I ended up making two great friends and began to enjoy my classes. I will say to friends who told me a Masters is easier than a Bachelors degree, you lot are bonkers.


Number Three:
Internship.

I got to intern at Verge Gallery. It was challenging and set off my anxiety in the beginning, but it was definitely worth it once completed. I got to experience so much. I learnt new skills, overcame my intense fear of ladders (people should not be above floor level), and most importantly, got to experience art on a daily basis. I didn't have to make time to go to an exhibition, I helped create one. Very rewarding. Challenging, but rewarding nonetheless.


Number Four:
Friends Time & Birthday Surprise

I spent the majority of my year not feeling well enough to see my friends, I even lost a few as a result. Those that I lost, I realise now (took me a while), really didn't matter - not at all. Those who I cherish, more than The Beatles even, never left me. Spending any length of time with them brightened my day and brought me so much joy. At times, I swear my heart could burst with how much love and affection I feel for them (they know who they are), I'd do anything for these people. Perhaps not anything associated with murder though, I have a strict moral code, but they know I'm there for them - I love them. Adopted family, most definitely.



I even turned twenty-two during 2013, shocking, I know. Here I was thinking I'd be stuck being a lousy twenty-one year old forever. But no - I turned twenty-two and oh boy, it was much better than I expected it to be! Dread is the only word that can describe how I felt pre-birthday, but that day was lovely. Breakfast with my father, lunch with my best friend, and an evening in a bar - lots of friends, lots of vodka. The best of times, I think we can all agree, come from this combination. I was so happy that evening, I was literally jumping for joy. My favourite day this year.

One of the happiest moments of my life - never going to forget this.

Number Five:
A Marriage.

One of my older sisters got married. I now have a brother-in-law. I can't say I expected to have one so soon, but I always knew I would. My sister was so happy and that made me happy. She's also expecting my nephew next year, that deserves a mention.



I have no doubt he will be a much appreciated addition to the family, mostly because he's male - they're currently outnumbered 1 to 5 by us ladies. As they should be, but he will be so loved. He already is.




So those were the key moments (happy ones) of 2013. It has been the worst year of my life, even topping 1997, which I had previously thought to be impossible. These moments made me so happy though, and I didn't want to depress people with another mad rant about why depression is a killer, why anxiety leaves you helpless, but most of all - I'd rather focus on these moments and not resent the entire year. It wasn't all bad. Definitely mostly though. (sorry!)


My favourite Christmas gift.



Happy New Year everyone, I hope 2014 brings you love and nothing but happiness. Anyone who can read this deserves as much. I sincerely apologise for my moods changing from joy to sadness so quickly, and for making you endure that - that was unforgivable of me. I'm sorry.

I'm also sorry if I made anyone feel lousy, no one I know truly is. I'm just a stubborn idiot most of the time.

Thank you for sticking by me throughout 2013 - you made it for me. I honestly wouldn't be here without a lot of you. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.






No comments:

Post a Comment