Monday 27 May 2013

Me & Rex.

"I wanted to kill the me underneath. That fact haunted my days and nights. When you realise you hate yourself so much, when you realise that you cannot stand who you are, and this deep spite has been the motivation behind your behaviour for many years, your brain can’t quite deal with it. It will try very hard to avoid that realisation; it will try, in a last-ditch effort to keep your remaining parts alive, to remake the rest of you. This is, I believe, different from the suicidal wish of those who are in so much pain that death feels like relief, different from the suicide I would later attempt, trying to escape that pain. This is a wish to murder yourself; the connotation of kill is too mild. This is a belief that you deserve slow torture, violent death." 
— Marya Hornbacher

A rather sad opening to another depressing post. We're going to talk about my "friend" Rex.

Now Rex and I first joined forces when I was fifteen years old. It was the right time to meet Rex, I was deeply in love with a boy who, in return, told me I was too "chunky" and "not his type." His type was, and still is, women with a catwalk figure, with the beauty and appeal of a Kate Moss. I, being a chunky, awkward teenager, was definitely not ever apart of that group, nor will I ever be.

I was devastated following that rejection. I went home and cried, promising myself that I would change my diet, exercise more and generally be more healthy, then he would want me. So I did, for months. I had the best diet of anyone I knew, I ran every morning and was complimented for all of this. I felt so ecstatic that I was closer to my goal, but still, none of it mattered if I wasn't his "type."

I got down to a very healthy 60 kilograms, all from a combination of willpower and effort, but then I met Rex. Rex, who promised me that I could be his type, who promised me beauty and perfection, all the things I lacked. I believed Rex. I became a Vegan under his guidance, I amped up my exercise to over two hours everyday, regardless of school and homework, this was more important, THIS WAS MY LIFE! School, friends, family, my social life, all of that came second to Rex and our goals together.

The problem was, no matter how much effort I put in, no matter how little I ate, Rex was never pleased with me. I had depression before I met him, but it was lacking motivation and a genuine cause, now I had the fuel to feed my illness. My disappointment and despair made it grow, it made Rex grow, until I felt like he was the only thing I ever knew and felt.

Striving for perfection, like Rex wanted.


The side-effects of meeting someone like Rex are well-documented. Apart from the obvious physical changes, he is all-consuming of the mind and causes people like me to do things which normally, they would never do. Even in my darkest moments before I met Rex, I never considered suicide as an option. I was raised Catholic and while I did not think it was a sin, that people who committed suicide chose the easy way out, I could never bring myself to consider it. I usually just wished I could be invisible at home and definitely at school. Then people would leave me alone, instead of reminding me what a waste of space I was.

The first time I ever considered dying was because I had a bowl of cereal. I locked my door, sunk to the floor and couldn't stop crying. Suddenly dying seemed to be the only option I could think of. But then a  close friend of mine, Dom, called me and said I had to come meet her that night and that I wasn't allowed to say no. So I couldn't then, I had to go meet my friend, I wasn't allowed to wallow in my despair.  When I saw her all I could think was, "you saved me, you saved me and you don't even know it." It is a fact that people generally underestimate the impact they have on people's lives, usually for the better. I didn't die that day or even think about dying for many days after.


The second time came around though, and this was followed through, it was the first suicide attempt. Rex not only told me what to eat, how much to eat, how much exercise I had to do, he also told me how worthless I was, how my family and friends hated me, how my existence was a joke to everyone around me. I believed him of course, why wouldn't I? I thought everyone was laughing at me behind my back and Rex provided many examples that proved the theory to be accurate. With that in mind I realised that even though I had an important trial exam that morning, school had to be ignored for the greater good. What was the point in trying to attempt it anyway? I was only going to fail again. No, I had  to die and not fail. So I took a cocktail of drugs and went to school anyway. I ended up in hospital and met Doctors and nurses who only reminded me that if I ate a "piece of cake" (as one nurse said), then I wouldn't be in that position. I didn't tell them I had actually taken pills, I just let them assume because that is what human beings are good at, assuming things with no evidence. I realised I was playing Russian Roulette with my life by staying quiet, but Rex and I were angry. Angry at the fact that these people who are supposed to care, didn't even bother to look beyond the physical. That is why, to this very day, I despise doctors and their assumptions.

                                                            I thought this was almost perfect. 


The second suicide attempt was actually much like the first attempt and the first thought of dying, before an exam and after eating a cupcake. By this point, Rex was my best friend and my worst nightmare. He wouldn't leave me alone, quite like my friend Sarah at this very instant. Same method, same result, a sure sign of insanity. At least this time I had a lovely male nurse named Dean to look after me, even if he did force me to eat buttered toast. Rex hated him on sight. My Dad did too, but for different, more parental reasons.

At school and thinner still.


The point of all this, of me describing to you the darkest moments of my life, is to draw attention to the present day. The fact is, Rex NEVER goes away, not completely. He's been laying dormant for years and all it takes is one small thing, one offhand remark and BOOM, Rex is back with a vengeance. These past years, I was always aware of him lingering in the back of my mind, but now the downward spiral into depression has opened the gates for him. It's too hard for the mind to try and fend off two different sources of pain. Unfortunately for me, this means I have to deal with the the self-pity and self-hatred, combined with thoughts that my physical imperfections are the cause of all my problems.

It's not helped by friends telling me how much weight they have lost, how their new diet is working so well for them, how being thinner has made their relationships that much better. It certainly isn't helped by a friend I'll call Hannah, shoving pictures and evidence in your face of your own imperfections, reinforcing every little doubt you had about yourself. To me, you see, appearance is very important, but not in a vain way. I could care less about what people thought of the way I dress (most don't like it) and I really couldn't give a flying fuck about what people think of my ever-changing hair, but I will ALWAYS care about comments regarding my weight. People don't realise, those jokes and jibes, they're never forgotten. I am blessed and cursed with an exceptional memory for conversations and though I may forgive someone for calling me chunky, I will NEVER forget those jokes or slights against me. NEVER. That extends to more than just my appearance though, I generally don't ever forget a single criticism. I guess this "talent" of mine is as much to blame for my current predicament as my friend Hannah is.

I'm writing this in the hope that you will just UNDERSTAND. I don't want judgement, I don't want to be told I'm wrong, because I KNOW, people like me KNOW what we're doing, what we're feeling is wrong, but we can't help it. Unless you have personally met Rex, you don't understand how much of a charlatan he is. He can be your best friend and your archenemy simultaneously. He can be your greatest source of comfort when you look in the mirror and all you see are collarbones, hipbones, when you can feel the dips between your ribs and your legs no longer touch. He becomes your worst tormenter after you have eaten, whenever you step on that scale and the numbers are not low enough for you, when you're so hungry and all you want to do is die, he amplifies all those thoughts and feelings of self-loathing. He will never leave you alone.

It has been years and today, all Rex wants from me is to be perfect. All my depression wants from me is to die. Together they both think I should either be this incredible perfect woman, with bones jutting, a high IQ, successful, or I have to die. I'm stuck in the middle and there seems to be no way I can emerge unscathed from within my own mind. My body is a war zone, with every scar a reminder of a mental battle I've had, and I've had quite a few. Together and with Hannah, they've told me no one will ever want such a scarred (mentally and physically) person and I agree. That doesn't bother me anymore. I gave up looking for my soul mate when one of my closest friends scoffed at the thought of me finding him. Why bother?

The things my friends don't usually understand:
1. Why do I, a person living with Rex, care so much when they diet or they don't eat?
That's simple, because I love them. I love them so much that I don't want them to suffer like I do every day of my life. I don't want them to feel hunger or to strive for "perfection," they're all beautiful and brilliant people.
2. Why can't I just accept that I'm "beautiful"?
That's harder to answer. I have thought about that a lot. The most honest answer I can give is that, if I left myself believe that and found out that it was all just a lie, that it was a joke on me, there would be no coming back from that for me. I'd die out of shame and humiliation, from the fact I was so gullible that for a second I was acceptable, just as I am. It's a defensive mechanism for me. Even when my closest friends compliment me in the back of my head I'm always wondering, why are they saying that? What do they want from me? What's the motive there? That may sound cyclical, but in my life I have learnt that most people are not nice, they're only nice when they want something from you. Once they have it, you're history.

Today:

Below are recent creations by me, designed to inspire my quest for perfection.


This is the cover of my "thought book," what I allow to inspire me everyday.


The mantra of Rex, the motto of people like me. 


This is one of the side-effects of letting Rex be your mind's roommate. This is what happens if I fail. 

I don't know at the moment what I'm supposed to do. There's no solution to my problem. Everything is just different shades of grey and I can't grasp an answer. I would give anything to divorce Rex, to leave depression lying in some dark alleyway, but they're like my friend Hannah, they're NEVER, EVER, going to go away. Not unless I go with them.

I've been through all of this before, my life is completely circular. Funny though, I can't actually remember how I did it then, just when I need to remember how the most.

So what do I do now?


"You never come back, not all the way. Always there is an odd distance between you and the people you love and the people you meet, a barrier thin as the glass of a mirror, you never come all the way out of the mirror; you stand, for the rest of your life, with one foot in this world and one in another, where everything is upside down and backward and sad." 
— Marya Hornbacher

No comments:

Post a Comment