Thursday 16 August 2012

I don't believe in an afterlife, I just believe in me.

"Ask yourself whether the dream of heaven and greatness should be waiting for us in our graves – or whether it should be ours here and now and on this earth." Ayn Rand

"You will notice though that the kind of people who turn to Jesus tend to be the sort of people who haven't done that well with everybody else."  Dylan Moran




There are two subjects which should never be brought up at the dinner table or in polite conversation, politics and religion. I've never been a big supporter of social rules or forced politeness, so I quite enjoy engaging in these conversations with people. It's more stimulating than talking about work or other dull topics, the weather being by far the worst. If you're stuck in a conversation with someone about the weather, bail. Either your partner is obviously dull or you're the bore, either way you should leg it. 

Religion has always been an interest of mine, not because I support it in anyway, but I don't dismiss it either. I'm always fascinated to learn new things and you can learn a lot about someone by knowing their take on certain topics. The majority of my friends are staunch atheists, which is telling, but I do have quite a few friends who are still quite religious and reverent and I have absolutely no problem with that. 

My problem with religion (I'm thinking you knew this was coming) is not so much about the nature of religion itself (to an extent), I can completely understand and rationalise people needing to believe in something (even if I disagree), that's not the issue. My issues are quite particular, certain doctrines and practices which I think are restrictive or using faith as a justification for acts of cruelty. My absolute pet peeve with religion though is when it interferes with my own life, the running of my Government or goes beyond individual belief to converting people. As long as people keep their beliefs to themselves, I'm quite happy. If people want to impose their beliefs on myself or my friends, or say homophobic things in the name their 'God' (their God, not mine they should note) that makes me angry, that I will have a problem with. Luckily for me, in my life I've been surrounded by followers of all different religions, who understand personal boundaries. This is no longer an age where forced conversion is appropriate and for that I am entirely thankful.

I should probably identify my own religious affiliation and it's probably not what you expected. I call myself a CA, a Catholic Atheist. It sounds ridiculous, but it fits perfectly in my life and it does make sense in my head (that doesn't mean much though), but I'll explain myself anyway. I was raised in a Roman Catholic family, going back generations for centuries, so I did all the things I was expected to do like going to Sunday Mass, reading scripture in Church and attending a Catholic Primary School. My morals today and the ethical code I live by were no doubt influenced by the religion I was brought up with, even though I do think my morals are more based on being a good person and should perhaps not be considered intrinsically Christian. These values though, are why I still define myself as a Catholic. No one has the right to tell me I'm not a Catholic just because I don't believe in every aspect, just as I don't bother people about their own religious beliefs. I'm quite safe in labelling myself. As for the Atheist part, that is pretty self explanatory, read the quote by Ayn Rand (brilliant author).

I would rather rest my faith in humanity, with our extensive capabilities to create utter chaos but also be such wonderfully compassionate and inspiring creatures, than to believe in something so intangible and incredible. I don't believe in supernatural conceptions of Heaven and Hell, these are just terms which create barriers on our minds and intelligence (sociology calls it social control), depending on how you conceive them. If you are one of the few who actually believe there is a man in the sky, in this 'Heaven,' and down below us is 'Hell,' than all I can say is good luck to you, Darwinism has obviously failed. Ayn Rand had the right idea I think, all this belief in an afterlife, in being rewarded for doing good deeds on Earth is just limiting. Wouldn't you rather just be a compassionate and moral person while alive because you can be, instead of thinking that you had to be because you will be rewarded for it? That's slightly fraudulent. Why should someone be rewarded for just being a good person? People should spend less time worrying about what happens after they're dead and worry about what kind of a life they are leading now, while they're alive. 

I can't speak for other people, but I'd rather be a good person and know that when I die, at least I made someone happy or did something good in the world. I don't want to believe I will be rewarded after it's all over, I'd much rather live and enjoy the benefits of being alive right now, knowing I was a good person not for the benefits, just because I was. 





11 comments:

  1. "I had rather believe all the fables in the Legend, and the Talmud, and the Alcoran, than that this universal frame is without a mind.

    For it is a thousand times more credible that four mutable Elements and one immutable First Essence duly and eternally placed need no God than that an army of infinite small proportions, or seeds unplaced, should have produced this Order and Beauty, without a Divine Marshal.

    They that deny a God destroy man's nobility, for certainly man is of kin to the beasts by his body; and if he is not of kin to God by his spirit, he is a base and ignoble creature.

    Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider."
    - Sir Francis Bacon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you were always good at dragging me into intellectual conversations. I always value your opinion and can see where you are coming from. I think if I was to believe in 'Hell' it would be the same sort of conception that Stephen Colbert believes in, a place without love. That makes more sense to me, because it would be the ultimate hell wouldn't it?

      To me, religion has always been a force of social control, to shape and define a society's morals and behaviour, what we think of as wrong or right has been ingrained into us over centuries. Perhaps Voltaire was right when he wrote that "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him." There will always be some conception of a God, just because some people need that influence.

      Delete
    2. Religion is a force of social control, completely.. The mistake is equating religion with god.. I'm guilty of this myself.. You don't have to adhere to any religion to be religous, and religions are people thinking they have it all figured out then realising that they don't in the slightest when their 'infallible' religious institution gets broken down and segregated. The ideations carried out by the heads of these religions (mainly talking about the big 3 and other mainstream ones) go directly against their respective bibles. I can completely understand where you're coming from.. But god is something that should be sought from within not from religion.

      Delete
    3. God from within? Yes, you truly are going against the mainstream 'religions' aren't you? I like that. I can see why you would enjoy meditation etc. It's not for everyone though. I wouldn't try and find God from within myself. I'd try and find what it is that makes me, memories and personality traits are only parts of ourselves, what we remember influences us and what traits we are told we possess form only our outer identities, but it's not who we truly are. Finding your own identity, apart from any external influences, that's probably the most religious experience people will ever undertake, if they choose to do it at all.

      Delete
    4. yeah it is a little eccentric but the idea has been put forward by every spiritual master ever... and buddhism and the other eastern religions pretty much say that.. it seems more worthwhile then the religions working purely on fear... i agree with you though

      Delete
    5. Darling, I love the eccentric.

      Delete
  2. I agree, I like the voltaire quote.. Here are some less formal quotes you might like haha:

    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    -Bill Hicks

    “I'm glad mushrooms are against the law, because I took them one time, and you know what happened to me? I laid in a field of green grass for four hours going, "My God! I love everything." Yeah, now if that isn't a hazard to our country … how are we gonna justify arms dealing when we realize that we're all one?”
    - Bill Hicks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hear of positive drug stories, there are plenty out there, but we never hear of those. The news really loves to twist our minds and let us live in fear of things that aren't truly a reality. I think if we overcome those fears, you can just imagine how beautiful everything would be. We would all live life to the fullest, instead of being afraid that someone is going to take everything away from us in a second. That's just not a life.

      Delete
  3. “Folks, it's time to evolve. That's why we're troubled. You know why our institutions are failing us, the church, the state, everything's failing? It's because, um – they're no longer relevant. We're supposed to keep evolving. Evolution did not end with us growing opposable thumbs. You do know that, right?”
    ― Bill Hicks

    “This is where we are at right now, as a whole. No one is left out of the loop. We are experiencing a reality based on a thin veneer of lies and illusions. A world where greed is our God and wisdom is sin, where division is key and unity is fantasy, where the ego-driven cleverness of the mind is praised, rather than the intelligence of the heart.”
    ― Bill Hicks

    “The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride." And we … kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok … But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.”
    ― Bill Hicks

    “...I just want to be free of the fears and anxieties and the superstitions of religion. An 'avenging GOD'? One who created Hell for those who don't believe? I thought we were the perfect and holy children of GOD? How could any limits possibly be put upon us? Hell.. really? I'm sorry, but... no. Wrong. You're wrong. That's an insane GOD and therefore not mine. Because, see, GOD would be very sane, don't you get it?”
    ― Bill Hicks

    “Wouldn't you like to see a positive LSD story on the news? To base your decision on information rather than scare tactics and superstition? Perhaps? Wouldn't that be interesting? Just for once?

    "Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.”
    ― Bill Hicks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah i posted one of them twice, sorry..
      And yeah as you know I had written a more personal reply but it got deleted..

      Delete
    2. Bill Hicks was an absolute genius. Equating life to an amusement park was spot on. We all go up and down and the ride sometimes goes on longer than we expected, but we can choose to get off at anytime really. Our minds hold can only hold so much information, nothing is really infinite because we can't conceive the infinite.

      Delete